Yield 4 servings
- 1/3 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped lightly toasted walnuts
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dried chile flakes
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- About 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup lightly packed mint leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Put the breadcrumbs, Parmigiano, walnuts, and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, a bunch of twists of black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon chile flakes. Toss to combine everything.
- Cut the asparagus on a sharp angle into very thin slices and add to the crumb mixture. Add 1/4 cup lemon juice and toss some more. Taste and dial in the flavors by adding more salt, black pepper, chile flakes, or lemon juice.
- When the flavors are bright and delicious, add the mint and 1/4 cup olive oil and toss. Taste and adjust again, and serve.