Yield 4 sandwiches or 8 appetizer servings
Time 10 minutes
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- Juice of half a lemon, plus more to taste
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus 4 more tablespoons if serving as dip
- 20 ounces canned tuna, preferably packed in olive oil, drained
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped black olives
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley or basil
- Salt to taste
- Buttered toast, if serving as sandwiches
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, if serving as dip
- In a large bowl, mash garlic with the back of a spoon. Whisk in the lemon juice and 5 tablespoons of olive oil. Combine with the tuna, onion, olives, capers, herbs and salt to taste.
- Serve on buttered toast for sandwiches, or make into a dip: Pulse the tuna salad and butter in a food processor until it is creamy. With the motor of the processor running, slowly add the additional 4 tablespoons oil. Taste and add more salt or lemon juice if needed. Serve with cut vegetables (fennel and bell peppers are nice) and crackers.